Attitude

In which a colleague shocks FP

Being a normal, well-adjusted, modern person, I sometimes forget how bigoted and backwards other people tend to be around here.

Today, I was over at one of our branch offices for a few hours. Whilst I was there, one of the staff popped across the road to the local chip shop to get us all dinner. She came back, and we tucked in.

“These are good fishcakes,” said the branch manager. He’s in his mid-30s, he knows how to cook well and dress well, and I assume he’s fairly intelligent.* “You wouldn’t think they were made by a couple of gayboys.” I choked on my coffee, but managed not to say anything. We get on badly enough already.

* Well, his writing is barely functional – I’ve received memos from him, and they’re very badly written, bad enough to be very hard to understand sometimes. But, if you manage to become a branch manager, you can’t be too stupid.

Keyword noise: , , , , ,

10 comments on “Attitude”

1. Anne says:

What. The. Hell.

Even for bigotry, that doesn’t make sense.

Gratuitous. That’s the word I want.

Completely.

I laughed at one other thing whilst I was there: they have a new staff member, who had to deal with an angry, shouty customer down the phone. “You shouldn’t have to put up with people behaving like that,” said the branch manager. I smiled, but didn’t think it polite to point out that since I started this job, only one person has shouted and swore at me down the phone – him.

3. Matt says:

This is well-timed, I was thinking much the same thing this morning

A customer last night has a daughter who works doing graphics on Graham Norton’s show, he sounded puzzled as he said “He’s a poof comedian, but he’s alright to her, for a poof”.

I mean…?

4. gwplf says:

But, if you manage to become a branch manager, you can’t be too stupid.

You’ve got a lot to learn..

5. Somewhat says:

Is everyone else thinking of the WI women from Little Britain?

Seriously, I do wonder what planet these people are living on. And wish it weren’t this one.

Personally, I try to think about Little Britain as little as possible.

7. Gert says:

My partner has shocked his customers by mentioning that he saw Brokeback Mountain at the pictures. As far as they’re concerned, it’s a gay film and not forthem, andhimgoing to see it makes him suspect…

8. James says:

Horrid as his statement is, I think I actually know the fish and chip shop you mean from his comment — largely because it does seem such an issue to a lot of people in those parts.

Eeek, I didn’t realise it would be that easy to trace.

10. James says:

I’d have no idea at all where you’d work near by though. It could of course be a different fish and chip shop, or more likely that the owners have more than one shop. (Which is actually very likely)