This Christmas, I have received:
- Some of the CDs and DVDs that I couldn’t be bothered to buy during the year
- A new denim jacket, with a nice warm fleecy lining
- A cunning device to tell you when your parking meter is about to run out.
The parents have received, from me:
- One of those car navigation gadgets
- A fossilised fish.*
Well, at least neither of them was going to guess a present like that before they opened it. It is now sitting on top of the TV, in stony silence.
Naturally, we all gathered around the telly last night to watch Doctor Who. The episode could have been better, the plotline felt rather thin, but when the Doctor woke up and swung into action he was marvellous indeed. The main gripe I had with the plot was: the Doctor shouldn’t just be a deus ex machina, but in this story that’s effectively all he was. Still, at least Russell T Davies does know how to write a running joke.**
* Actually, there are two fish in the slab I gave, but one is faint and difficult to see. I didn’t spot it myself until after it was unwrapped and on display.
** and the Douglas Adams reference was a nice touch too.