Arrg kxrrt!

Astroturf

In which we smell a rat

Yesterday’s post clearly touched off a nerve. You can see four disparaging comments on it; there are plenty more in the comment queue that I haven’t approved.

Funny thing is, though, they’re all from a single address. Either one person, or a group of people working in the same office. It’s from the domain nng.co.uk. Which is owned by the company Northcliffe Media Ltd – who are, amongst other things, the publishers of the famously pisspoor Grimsby Telegraph! I don’t think they can have liked what I wrote – I think I’ll send an email to the Telegraph itself and ask if this is deliberate, or just some staff mucking about.

Keyword noise: ,

Keyword noise: , , , ,

10 comments on “Astroturf”

1. Gy bird says:

Of course it’s deliberate and we’re keeping copies of everything you are writing.
    After all, we have to publish within the law and so should you.

2. Lisa says:

Oh dear. I think Northcliffe’s lawyers are interested in you.

3. Lisa says:

I’d go into hiding if I were you – I can hear the lawyers on the phone!

4. GY bird says:

What’s up? Do you not want people to know we’re from the Telegraph? After all, we’ve admitted it….. despite being ‘piss poor’.

5. Gordon says:

Blimey.

I love that some people think “media addict” is a nom de plume. I love that the internet is full of people who have little better to do than add inane comments. I love that such OUTRAGE is so very easy to generate. In general, I love idiots.

Anyway, that aside I’ve never been to Grimsby so can’t comment. Suffice to say that the attitude shown in your comments isn’t exactly inviting!

6. Obsidian Blackbird McKnight says:

It’s rather sad that secretary’s and tea boys from Northcliffe Media Ltd are threatening a blogger with libel action rather than doing the work they are paid to do.

Do your employers know you are doing this rather than your actual job?

There is nothing libellous here and even if there was Northcliffe Media Ltd lawyers would deal with it and not silly people wasting away working hours like yourself.

7. LKSN says:

I think you should make a complaint about these threats. You have posted an opinion which you are perfectly entitled to hold and it certainly is not libellous. These people should be held to account for using their work email in this fashion. It would be amusing if they lost their jobs.

8. Harry says:

I hope they are concentrating on doing work now.

9. Clair says:

That was possibly one of the funniest comment threads I’ve read in a long time. Well done for inspiring such venom over such a little thing :)

10. FB says:

Heh, brilliant. Perhaps your regulars could club together and post a copy of McNae’s Essential Law for Journalists round to the Telegraph. I think they just released a new edition, but I’m fairly sure there isn’t a section on threatening bloggers.